Becoming a New Parent is Often Terrifying
Parenting takes time and needs to be adaptable to the needs of your child. As a parent you have a huge impact on your child's health and happiness. However, modern day life leads to a great deal of stress, particularly as parents are often feeling judged by others if their children are not behaving perfectly in public.
One of the major problems with society is that there are so many different theories on parenting. For instance one expert will state children are meant to cry a certain amount per day, whilst another will say leaving a child to cry is detrimental. As parents, you have decide which theory sits best with you and then you need to be able to cope with the consequences of being judged, should you encounter someone in public who disagrees with your parenting methods.
No-one really teaches parents how to be good parents. A lot of this comes with trial and error and with choosing one parenting skill over the other. At the end of the day, the method of parenting you choose doesn't matter as long as you know your child is happy, healthy and safe. These are discussed in more detail is the book Perfect Mum: How to survive the emotional rollercoaster of motherhood.
The Secrets to Successful Parenting
Whilst each parenting method is different, certain elements of parenting should be taught, such as:
- Caring for your own self esteem is vital for your happiness and the happiness of your child
- Spending quality time each day playing with your child is more important than hours of non-quality time
- Setting boundaries that are understandable and non-threatening to children helps children to feel secure
- Electronic gadgets are acceptable as long as they are not used as a babysitter it as a regular replacement for quality time
- Trust your instincts and trust that you know your child best
These things can be learnt, such as how to improve self esteem. They take time but are essential for long term happiness.
Being a parent is the best job in the world, but like any job it takes time to learn your way around, to get the best results and to feel happy, safe and secure.